This person, HOLY SPIRIT…is controversial to say the least. I think for many they don’t understand Him so they try to dismiss Him. Dismissing Him is a mistake though and I want you to see, and hopefully understand, Him better. He has a distinct purpose as we will see and plays a very important role in our lives as followers of Jesus and even as unbelievers. I love the reference Christ Jesus makes in John 3:8 when He said the wind blows where it wants and we feel it but we have no idea where it came from or where it is going. Holy Spirit can definitely be felt although we don’t see Him.
Here are some facts about Holy Spirit according to God’s Word:
- He is part of the Godhead ( Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) Luke 3:22
- He is omnipotent or all powerful Luke 1:35
- He is omnipresent or present everywhere Psalm 139:7
- He is eternal Hebrews 9:14
- He is omniscient or all knowing I Corinthians 2:10-11
- He was present during creation Genesis 1:2
- He was the one who inspired the written Word of God II Peter 1:20-21
Jesus spoke of the purpose of Holy Spirit. Jesus said it was expedient that He go to the Father so that Holy Spirit could come to us. Let’s look at some of the characteristics Jesus said Holy Spirit would have:
- John 14:25-17 Jesus calls Him a comforter or counselor. He said He would be the Spirit of truth and would be with us forever and the children of God would know Him because He will remain with us and in us. Jesus said the world or sinners would not be able to receive Him or know Him (Holy Spirit).
- John 14:25-26 Jesus says that Holy Spirit will teach us all things and remind us of what Jesus told us (the Bible).
- John 15:26 Jesus said that Holy Spirit would testify or be a witness as to who Jesus is.
- Mark 13:11 Jesus says that Holy Spirit would gives us words to speak when we need to speak them.
In Matthew 3:11 John the Baptist said that Jesus would baptize us with the Holy Spirit and fire! The word baptize in the Greek here means fully wet. When we are saved and Holy Spirit is IN us and we are fully emerged in His presence. The baptism of fire brings judgement and burns away sin and Holy Spirit makes us a new creature. So Holy Spirit works in us to:
- Convict us of sin John 16:8
- Guide us to righteousness Galatians 5:16-26
- Helps us pray Romans 8:26-28
- Helps us evaluate things I Corinthians 2:12-16
- Bring things to our remembrance John 14:26
- Warn us Acts 16:7
- Bring freedom II Corinthians 3:17-18
In Acts chapter 1, Jesus commanded the disciples to not leave Jerusalem but wait for the promise of the Father. This promise was that they would be baptized with the Holy Spirit and Jesus said they would receive power when Holy Spirit came upon them and they would be witnesses. This is fulfilled in Acts chapter 2. They were all waiting as commanded when the Holy Spirit came into the room like a mighty rushing wind and filled them all where they were sitting. This was evidenced by them speaking in tongues. We then see those who were baptized becoming very bold and proclaiming the gospel of Jesus Christ. They also were given supernatural power and performed many miracles.
As followers of Jesus, Holy Spirit is vital in our everyday lives.
As an unbeliever, He is vital as He is the one who convicts us of our sin. We have to acknowledge our sin problem to know that we are in need of a Savior.
I am so thankful God loved us enough to not only send His Son to be our redeemer but also to send us Holy Spirit to be our everyday helper!
One Reply to “~ W I N D OF THE S P I R I T ~”
I really enjoy the blog article. Really looking forward to read more. Great. Wally Christie Lazos